Monday, June 01, 2009

If the shoe fits....

OK, am I the only woman out there who is not made orgasmic by high-heeled platform shoes?

Sometimes I feel like I come from another planet!

Honest to God, these women were on TV this morning going ga-ga over these shoes with insanely high heels. They called them Skyscrapers, or some such.

And then there were these gladiator shoes (which even I know are all the rage right now and I still think they are butt ugly) with high heels and platforms. The fashion coordinator consultant, who probably made more money for this one segment than I do all year as a librarian, said, “Now, wouldn’t these shoes just make you feel like a goddess?”

I am looking at these shoes, squinting really, because they are so ghastly ugly and obviously uncomfortable, and I am thinking: “No, not really. They would make me feel like a cross between Victor Mature and the Lady Chablis from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.”

The best shoes, though, were the – now, get this! – toeless boots. Honest to God, toeless boots. They looked just like boots, black leather and all, but they had obscenely high heels and platforms , to boot! (ha), AND… they were open toed!!! I am thinking, OK, we wear boots to protect our feet from snow, cold, mud, falling trees and I-beams. What the hell good are toeless boots going to be? But everyone was going super gaga over them. And, guess what? They only cost $1200! A true bargain, if I ever heard of one.

And just because I am a librarian, does not mean I wear orthopedic shoes! I have a whole variety of shoes, in different styles, for different purposes. Granted, a heel of two inches would pretty much be stiletto for me. When I go for shoes, I go for comfort. My favorite pair of shoes, by far, is my Dansko clog-like things. They are great for having to spend a lot of time on your feet, which I do as a roving, teaching reference librarian. I also have a wide variety of slip on shoes, loafers, low-heeled pumps, and sandals. Right now I am wearing flip flops, which I quite enjoy but which I do not wear when it is twenty degrees outside and snowing, which I have seen many a teen girl -- and boy -- doing! New Balance running shoes, several pairs of mocs, Teva’s, Bean boots from 1980, hiking boots, and even a pair of Doc Martens. (All of my boots have toes, thank you very much.)

Now, I really don’t care if other people want to wear really high heeled monstrosities. That is their personal business. If they like them and feel comfortable wearing them, go for it! Hell, I guess I shouldn’t really care if they feel comfortable in them or not. They are all grown ups. If they are happy with their shoe choices, more power to them! I just don’t “get it.” But then again, I guess I don’t have to.

Now, where the hell did my other flip flop go…?

1 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

you make me laugh, dear one.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home