Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Amazons II

The Amazons Reunion 2007 (or 2007, Part I – we had so much fun, we may have another!) was a tour de force.

We did… pretty much what I said we would do.

The main activity was: talking.

And I was so totally cool with that! (As everyone else seemed to be as well.)

Don’t get me wrong, we did a lot of eating. And drinking.

But if I had to sum up the weekend in ONE word, it would be: “talking.”

And we were all fine with that. I think.

The only way the weekend could have been better is if our seventh member could have made it. She was unable to come, but we talked to her twice over the course of the weekend, both times on speaker phone. The first time we were just sitting around the dining room table… talking; the second time we were playing Trivial Pursuit: The Book Lovers’ Edition. And, yep, you guessed it: talking!

I need to clarify.

I am NOT a talker. I probably talk more during ONE Amazons Reunion Weekend than I do over the course of an entire year! (And I teach a chatty class to college freshmen.)

I am NOT a talker.

I am a listener. I am not averse to talking. I mean, I CAN talk. But I am not, by nature, chatty.

When I talk so much over the course of a short period of time, there must be equal and opposite reaction time where I simply… do not talk.

The other women in the group: they seem to thrive on talking, much like humans needing to breathe oxygen. But maybe that is just me.

Or not.

I mean, these women seem to genuinely enjoy talking.

And talking. And talking.

I am OK with that, because what they are talking about is usually interesting.

But it is alien to me, to talk so much.

I have to really put forth effort, to talk so much.

But the breadth and depth of topics covered this past weekend were, quite simply, amazing!

Thought-provoking, emotional, sincere, surprising, not surprising, out of the blue, expected, unexpected, original, repeated, funny, sad, maddening, calming, true.

When the Amazons get together, no telling what will happen or what topics will come up or what direction conversations will take.

And that is part of what makes these weekends so incredible.

The other part is the very women themselves. THEY are totally amazing, incredible, fantastic, thoughtful, funny, wonderful women.

And I am so glad, so proud to know them all.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

now see, i am a talker.

but you knew that : )

I am so glad oyu had a good time!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home