Thursday, October 18, 2007

Autumn

Autumn is, by far, my favorite season of the year.

I love the cooler temperatures, the vibrant, earthy hues, the falling leaves….

I feel more alive during Autumn than I do during any other season of the year.

When I think of Autumn, I am reminded of…

- Raking leaves into giant piles and then jumping into them. And then raking them all over again. And jumping again. And laughter and unfettered fun.

- Long afternoons of vibrant field hockey, running up and down the playing fields. “Ground, stick, ground, stick, ground, stick… Ball!”

- Football games at West Point where the surrounding hills are a patchwork quilt of fall colors.

- Hiking in Colorado where the predominant color is the awesome yellow of the aspens.

- Long walks through the woods in Germany, rustling up the leaves, enjoying the deeper, muted greens and browns and burnt oranges and scarlets.

- The two days of fall in Alaska where the leaves literally change colors before your eyes and fall off, the cranes fly south, and the aurora borealis does its lava lamp dance across the nighttime sky.

I love sweaters and turtlenecks and pumpkins and raking leaves and apple cider and candy corn.

I think better, I feel better, I live better… I am better.

During the brief, golden, crisp, chilly days of Autumn.

There is nothing "gray" about Autumn!

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Thank you for your recollections of Beast Barracks and West Point.

2:52 PM  
Blogger delta said...

You're welcome! How did you ever find them? There aren't a lot of people who read my blog. Or even know it exists!

As to Beast being "6-8 weeks," remember I went through it 26 years ago. And I couldn't really remember how long it was. It seemed eternal -- and a blur! -- when I actually went through it.
And I was probably including ReOrgy Week in my mind. And not looking at a calendar.... ;)

No excuse, sir!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I was writing "white over gray", and I couldn't remember whether we spelled it 'gray' or 'grey', so I did a google search. One of your posts came up, I don't remember which one exactly, and from there, I read your other posts.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Off the wall question ...

When you were learning The Corps, did you also sing it to the tune of the Gilligans Island theme song?

12:04 PM  
Blogger delta said...

No, but my Beast roommate and I used to make up song and dance routines (with our M14s!) to help us remember songs and other stuff we had to memorize. I will never forget when our Beast Squad Leader (male) just walked into our room without knocking and we were doing a song and dance routine to "Worth's Battalion Orders" that involved twirling our M14s and stepping up and down off of chairs. He took one look at us, aghast, and said: "I'm going to go back out and try this all over again." He then left, closed the door,and after a second or two, knocked twice. After we uttered "Enter, Sir!" he then opened the door to find us standing at attention with our weapons. He never said another word about what he had seen.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home