Saturday, February 07, 2009

"Do a little dance, make a little love..."

“Do a little dance, make a little love. Get down tonight, get down tonight…”
-- KC and the Sunshine Band

Yo, girlfriend, you need to get your act in gear.

Huh. Are you talkin’ to me?

Uhhh, yeah. Duh. I live in your head. Who the hell else would I be talking to?

I don’t know. So…..?????

Yes?

What do you want???

I’m fine. Thank you for asking. And you?

Uh-uh.

Uh-uh what?!?

Uh-uh means no.

Yeah. I get that. What do you want?

No. No. No. I don’t want anything. It is YOU who wants something. YOU are the one who started this whole thing. I am just sitting here getting down to some music on my birthday.

Yeahhhhhhh. Hello. It is like KC and the Sunshine Band.

So? It IS KC and the Sunshine Band. It is not like KC and the Sunshine Band.

Yeah, whatever. So, what takes us back to the Disco Era all of a sudden?

Us?????

Well, I live in your head, dear. So whatever shit you listen to, I have to listen to it, too. I am just wondering why we have gone back to the 70s.

Wellllll, I’m not really sure.

What’s that supposed to mean?

Wellllll, I just kept hearing the song playing over and over again in my head. Only I couldn’t really quite place it. I mean, I could hear the music. I could sort of fake make out the lyrics. It was killing me. I needed to know what song it was.

OK. Given that you are musically impaired, that makes sense. So, then what?

Well… I Googled for the lyrics.

I thought you said you didn’t really remember the lyrics.

Yeahhhhh. That is sort of a problem I have. I can never remember song lyrics, so I just make them up and sing the song anyway.

Well, you can’t sing, either.

I realize that. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like music. Or hear songs playing in my head all the time.

With erroneous lyrics…?????

You know what? YOU try living in my head. Try it on for size.

I DO live in your head.

Oh. Yeah. Right.

So, what did you Google for?

Well…. I could hear the music playing in my head big time. But I couldn’t quite place the lyrics. So I tried searching for: lyrics “play a little love”

“Play a little love”?????

Yeah, I didn’t think that was right.

So, what did you come up with?

Interestingly, the Grateful Dead song “Touch of Grey.”

Oh.

Yeah. I’m not good at remembering song titles. I had to go listen to it. This was the one with “I will get by, I will survive.” Kinda famous. You probably heard of it.

Not really disco.

No. I get that.

So then what?

Well, I tried a few other possibilities. None of them worked.

So, then what?

I went on with my life. I went to yoga class. And as I was walking there with my son, I told him I kept hearing this song in my head. He told me to sing it.

Ouch!

Yeah, I know. I said I couldn’t really remember the words. But I tried the tune.

And…?

He looked at me like I was deranged. He asked me what the words were. I said I didn’t know. He said, "Give it a shot." So, I sang it.

Sang what?

Ummm. I think I sang, something like “Play a little love, do a little song…” as close to the real tune as I could get.

And?

He looked at me and said, “Oh, I know that song!” “What is it?” I asked. “I don’t know the name,” he said, “but it goes like ‘Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight.” “That’s it!” I cried ecstatically.

Ecstatically?

Yeah. He got it. On the first try. Only he had no idea who sang it.

And he is how old?

Just turned fifteen.

And HE knew. But you , oh, Dancing Queen, did not?

Yes, that is true. But...

But now you know?

Yeah. Because I looked up the real lyrics. And then other people knew what it was right away. I am just bad with music. Even though I hear songs in my head all the time.

With the wrong lyrics?

Yeah, well, that’s true.

But now you have it?

Oh, yeah! I downloaded it from iTunes, and I’ve been playing it ever since. I am grooving down big time. It is awesome.

Well, Happy Birthday, girlfriend! You go, girl!

Do a little dance, make a little love. Get down tonight, get down tonight……

3 Comments:

Blogger Hillcrest Cottage said...

Happy Birthday....KC and the Sunshine Band was my first disco album (10th Grade...I think). Keep on blogging from a fellow blogger....

9:00 AM  
Blogger delta said...

Hey! Hi! I noticed that I had a "follower" on my blog the other day. I didn't really know what that meant, but when I clicked on it, it took me to your blog. Which I quite enjoyed! Not sure how you found my blog, but nice to see that people I don't even know stumble across it every once in a while. I hope your son is doing well at USMA. I have to tell you, this time of year is the WORST at West Point. It is called Gloom Period, because it is so cold and windy and dreary and... GRAY!!!! Any "sunshine" you can send his way during this time of year would be MOST appreciated, I am sure!!!

8:18 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

thank you (not!) for that earworm.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home