Sunday, June 21, 2009

Channeling my inner Patton

(Please listen to this music in the background as you read the post.)
Theme from the movie Patton

I have learned this week a very important lesson:

You can take the girl out of the Army, but you cannot take the Army out of the girl.

Although I graduated from West Point twenty-four years ago and have not worn a military uniform since 1990, the Long Gray Line lives on within me clear as a bell, night and day, no matter what. All I have to do is look inside myself and draw from my core. Or my Corps.

I am by nature shy, quiet, and nonassuming, but when I believe in something I can do what needs to be done. Or give it my best shot.

I remember well the statue of General George S. Patton, Jr. that stood on the edge of the Plain, across from the Library at West Point. I loved the way he stood, holding binoculars in his hands, looking solid and resolute and determined. Like he knew exactly what he was doing.

I think they have since moved Patton, or temporarily relocated him during construction of a new library. And I think he may well be moving somewhere else around the Plain in the near future. A man of maneuver! But one who will be standing tall at West Point for some time to come. Inspiring untold generations of future cadets to service and leadership.

I work in a university library, and I had to call upon the spirit of Patton this past week to guide me in a particularly difficult chore. You might think a library would be a very quiet and peaceful and stressfree place to work, but you would be wrong. A library is like any other organization, full of people who must somehow work with one another to accomplish a variety of missions that ultimately serve its users.

I do not relish standing up in front of a group of people and leading them in a move that many question or doubt or fear. I like to stand up in front of people and teach them or entertain them, but when it comes to convincing them to adopt a course of action they may not totally believe in, that is another story indeed.

But this past week, I was called on to do just that. I was called on to convince my colleagues to adopt a new, expedited process that would help guide them as they establish a more professional organization. Two years ago, the group voted, after considerable contention and hours and hours and hours and months and months and years of meetings and debate, to adopt a promotion process more in line with the promotion and tenure process of the university's faculty. Librarians as a rule don't much like change (even though their field is rife with change!), and this was a huge change. A scary change.

By virtue of my position as the elected representative to Faculty Senate and hence, Chair of the Library Faculty Committee, I felt it fell to me to be proactive and take the initiative, to help develop a process that would move us all further in the right direction. I felt strongly that if we all worked together, we could employ positive peer review and assist one another in preparing for promotion. We were colleagues; we should be helping each other to be the best librarians we could be.

I am not a politician. I tend to be obtuse when it comes to seeing the inner politics and workings of an organization -- and even a library has inner politics, believe me! I always expect people to do the right thing. That is just the way I am wired. Perhaps this is a weakness on my part, or perhaps it is a blessing. If I cannot see the obstacles that others see, then I continue to drive forward.

I went into my meeting this past week pretty much scared shitless. I was expecting the worst: contentious debate, overwrought emotions, the whole nine yards. But I was hoping for the best. I went in prepared, I went in having given everyone documents ahead of time, explaining what I was proposing. I was ready to explain. I was ready to answer questions. I was ready to ask for input. I set a clear agenda, with a set timeframe, and announced that our meeting would end on time (or earlier) and that we would leave the meeting having voted on the resolution I had proposed in my documentation.

To my surprise, everyone was civil, everyone was calm, everyone had good questions, and everyone contributed positively to the discussion. It was a very productive session.

At the end of the meeting we voted. Ten people voted for the resolution, none voted against it, and one person abstained. We created a task force to accomplish some tasks that need to be done before we can fully implement our plan, and we gave them a deadline to report back. We adjourned the meeting on time, and everyone headed off for lunch or wherever they needed to be next.

I was stunned. Pleased. But stunned. I was not sure that I had it in me still. To be assertive and firm in guiding a group to make a decision.

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if there had been a huge American flag behind me and I had been wearing a Patton outfit and ivory-handled pistols and I had talked about crap flowing through a goose.

It is not only on battlefields that we must lead. It can be in classrooms, in meetings, in boardrooms, in our homes, on the street, just about anywhere really.

Anytime, anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home