Saturday, May 22, 2010

Twenty-five years ago today....

My blog has no pictures.

No illustrations.

No graphics.

It is called… Gray.

Not because I think life is colorless, or images are bad.

True, I am not a photographer, and I truly appreciate others who can take great photos and videos.

But I wanted my blog to be… pure.

Words only.

That may be weird. But…

I called it “Gray” for a variety of reasons.

My female West Point classmates, at our 20th class reunion, thought I should write about our experiences as women at West Point.

Fine.

I wanted to write about West Point.

And my personal experiences at West Point.

‘Cuz those are the only ones I truly know.

West Point is … gray.

The buildings are gray. The uniforms are gray. In winter, when there is no snow, virtually everything is gray.

But I also wanted to write about middle age. When we are all turning… gray.

AND… I wanted to write about life.

Which is frequently gray.

Or which, more accurately, has many gray areas.

I wanted to look at that part of life which is not black or white.

So… that left a lot for me to talk about.

Today…….

Or twenty-five years ago today, my class graduated from West Point.

Twenty-five years.

Wow.

What has happened in those twenty-five years since graduation….???

We all have different stories.

We all have different experiences.

We all have different takes on the past 25 years.

Some people say: “Gosh! Where did the time go?”

Some people say: “Wow! 25 years!!!! Let’s be proud!”

Still others say: “Great! Look at what we have done, but look forward at what we still have to do!”

I say: “Look at it all. I mean, yes, good lord, where DID the time go? But, my Lord, look at what all we have done!!! Marriages, children, careers, accomplishments, it is mind boggling. And, most importantly, where are we going next?”

What will we be doing in the NEXT twenty-five years???

In many ways, it does seem like graduation was just yesterday.
But we have all been through a lot, done a lot, lived a lot. No matter what paths we have chosen.

And we, who are still here, can look out into the… gray!... unforeseen future and say:

“What is next? Bring it on! Here I am. Let me do my thing!”

13 Comments:

Blogger هجووره said...

i lik your blog because it hasn't any pictures. In my opinion pictures are not the only way to demonstrate your idea, words are much better.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Valter said...

I don`t read blogs very often but I think your blog style is interesting.

10:05 AM  
Blogger LANON said...

nice=>

5:10 PM  
Blogger maylose said...

This was written in my birthday. So interesting.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Diao said...

I like your blog, it's different, not ordinary.
And your style of writing (I don't know if I spell it right) is nice to read

5:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also have a blog with words only,
all about microstories presented in bilingual versions.
You have a nice clear writing skill.And it would be nice if everyone did their thing,so our society stops going downhill.
Someone should militarilly intervene the amazon and stop the devastation of the rainforest.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Affy said...

I have a pretty distinct memory of talking to Pat Hoy when I was a cow and saying, "Sure I'm getting good grades, but all I have to do to get them is to regurgitate back what I'm told." He said the fact that I realized that was a sign that I shouldn't be too concerned about it.

I think rather than underestimating your depth of thinking when you were in college, you probably overestimate that of the kids today. Have you listened to a high school graduation speech - very sweet, hopeful, etc. but typically not exactly profound.

I bought Mamet(?)'s book but like so many others, it sits on my shelf unread. I will try to correct that - maybe by our reunion.

What will the next 25 hold? A great question. I assume in the general sense, the same thing the past 25 have - love, hate, joy, sorrow, success, failure. I had to take Cow English because I wasn't as smart as you and we listened to American Pie (Don McLean) and discussed what the various lines meant. I remember discussing "the lovers cried and the poets dreamed." I had no idea what it meant. Our P said it meant that despite that the fact that "the music died", the world kept on pretty much the same. Years later I read a book by a woman whose child died of cancer, and the one thing I remember from it was that when the doctor told her about the cancer and that her child had only months to live, she looked out the window. Cars kept driving, people kept walking. The world moves on.
So as the world moves on in the next 25 years, I'll move along with it. I'll try to read a little more, be a better husband and father, become a better photographer, and try not to become a crotchety old goat. Because none of us woopsters wants to be a goat.

8:08 PM  
Blogger delta said...

Affy, I would say "Welome aboard!" or "Ahoy, matey!" but that is so navalistic it makes me want to puke up goats! Seriously, I appreciate your comments. Can't wait to see you at reunion!!! Love you tons! And you and I are sharin' a beer and talkin' at some point during our reunion weekend.

11:21 PM  
Blogger (?) said...

I love blogs with no pics, a bit long this post, but nice one anyway

keep on writing!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Izaa said...

I love it, you are doing what you want: have a pure blog :)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Liza said...

My blog has also no pictures. It is all writing. Writing is a very unique way of expressing yourself, sometimes I sit and think to myself "What would I ever do without writing?" I am not the most talented artist, and when it comes to cameras, I am most definetly not the best. For as I like to say, " A story is worth a billion pictures. Nice job, keep posting!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Mark's Space said...

Interesting reading and a creative approach ~

7:52 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I found this blog as I looked up the West Point slang "dress off". I wanted to make sure of the connotation. (and I wanted to use that Big word). Good to find this blog. Figured out who the author was by reading several posts. Enjoyed it.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home