Tuesday, January 01, 2008

You say you want a resolution....

I think New Year’s is a very bizarre holiday. I get the whole “It’s a new year, so let’s take stock and start anew” stuff. I don’t get standing out in the freezing cold for 8 hours in Times Square, surrounded by millions of people, just to watch a ball drop at midnight. I don’t get camping out on the streets of Pasadena the night before the Rose Bowl Parade. I don’t get partying like a wild maniac and drinking buckets of champagne on New Year’s Eve.

I do get starting a new year off right. Celebrating the new year with traditions, like a giant soft pretzel, pork and sauerkraut, and a toast of bubbly. Taking stock of where you have been and what you have done – or not done. Tying up loose ends. And starting anew.

I don’t really get New Year’s resolutions. Because I think they are done with naiveté and optimism and after too much champagne. And they are made to be broken.

I do get change. And wanting to change. And honoring change. And fresh starts.

That is why I am going to begin this year with a post to this poor blog, which has been dreadfully neglected these past few months. I was simply “overcome by events.” I have no excuse. I put my blog last. As I tend to put myself last.

I am not going to make a resolution. I am going to say that it is my intention to be better at posting this year to my blog. To be better at writing. To bump myself up a few notches on the proverbial totem pole of life. Not sure that will happen. But I hope to write about it either way.

Happy New Year! And all the best in 2008!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home