Monday, August 04, 2008

Dancing Queen

If you want to know the best way to connect with your teenaged sons, download the soundtrack from Mamma Mia! onto their iTunes playlist.

How was I to know?

The boys were visiting their dad for the summer.

My grocery bills actually dipped below $250 a week.

What can I say?

I decided to splurge.

Bought myself an iPod. An iPod shuffle, granted. On sale. The only iPod I could afford.

Nevermind that both boys have iIPods and an iTunes library that is quite astonishing.

If you are a fifteen year old boy.

I mean, I scrolled through their entire playlist and found four – count them, four!!! – songs I “might” possibly download onto my new lavender iPod shuffle. If I were being banished to a desert island for life and was restricted to picking from their playlist. Or else silence.

Pshaw!!!!!!

I needed some tunes, baby! Some DANCE tunes!

Some serious dance tunes.

Some party tunes.

What better – I ask you? – than the soundtrack from the new movie musical Mamma Mia!?

I rest my case.

I played the songs for my younger son tonight after dinner. Loudly. Whilst I danced around the room, doing karaoke, and relieving all the stress from my no good, terrible, awful stressful day.

He was not impressed.

I did jumping jacks. I did arm swoops. I hopped up and down. Windmills. Hip blasters. You name it.

I told him this would be a GREAT workout for the football team!

To no avail.

His eyes were wide. He cringed in shock on my bed. His electric guitar grasped tightly in his arms as I switched from “Dancing Queen” to “Super Trouper” to “Mamma Mia” to “Take a Chance on Me.”

I was serenading, lip-synching, gyrating my hips, working up a sweat just for him. Him. Him. Him.

God damn, it felt good!

I should do that more often.

See that girl… Watch that scene…

1 Comments:

Blogger Ella said...

Hi, I'm a Chinese student. I'm writing an article on USMA, and I want to quote you on your comments about the dress-up in the academy. Could you please tell me your full name and what time you attended USMA? Many thanks. My email is (ella at zenbe dot com). Thanks.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home