Saturday, October 07, 2006

Land of the lost

I wrote a blog entry the other night.

It was very long and very nice.

On advice from a more experienced blogger, I usually tupe my blog entries up in Word first and then copy and paste them into my blog. I also usually SAVE my Word documents as soon as I create them, so they are not lost to the stratosphere, as they are sometimes wont to do if one doesn’t save until the end.

This time I used Word, but I did not remember to save.

I wrote at length and in glorious detail about fall, my favorite season. I captured the sights, the smells, and my general euphoria at this incredibly blessed season of the year. I waxed poetically about taking the time to savor the changing colors of the leaves and the golden afternoons that only fall sunshine brings. I was hugely content and satisfied with my entry and just about ready to post it when…

POOF!

A strange image flashed across my screen and Word disappeared. Not only did Word disappear, but my wonderful essay with it.

I tried document recovery. Twice. But to no avail.

My tribute to fall was lost. Forever.

Sigh.

I was sad, I was disappointed, but more than anything I was TIRED. It was late at night, and I had to get up early the next morning for work. I didn’t even WANT to try to re-create my work. The thought of it just made me feel even more tired. So, I rationalized that my type-written words must have disappeared for a “reason.” And that I should just go to bed. Which I did.

So, I cannot really tell you about the glories of fall right now.

Maybe I was learning a hard lesson about hubris.

Maybe my essay really sucked and is better off lost somewhere in the electronic abyss.

Or maybe it is just that… shit happens.

Whatever the case, I saved THIS entry as soon as I opened up Word.

Aren’t you lucky?

2 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

yes : )

5:13 PM  
Blogger yt said...

Fall is my favorite season as well.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home