Thursday, April 12, 2007

OBE

OBE does not stand for “Order of the British Empire.”

Well, it does. Sort of. The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire has five classes of awards for… chivalry. OBE is the one for “Officer of the British Empire.”

But that is not what I am talking about here.

OBE does not stand for “Out of Body Experience.”

Well, yes, it does. But, again, that is not how I mean it.

It has been almost a month since I last posted to this blog. I am a bit stunned that it has been that long. It does not seem like it has been that long.

I have just been really, really busy, and, alas, I have allowed my blog to sink to the bottom of my “to do” list.

No excuse.

In the Army, we had a term (and, of course, an acronym!) for what happens when certain things don’t get done because they are pushed out of the way by other (supposedly more important, pressing, or time-sensitive) things. They are OBE: “Overcome by Events.”

One of my greatest fears is that my life will be OBE.

I realize that every moment of every day – regardless of how I spend it – is my life. I get that.

But when I say “life,” I mean the life that I wish I had, want to have, intend to have, am meant to have, need to get off my ass and just plain have.

Ultimately, the events of my day-to-day life are not “overcoming” me.

I am allowing them to overcome me, or rather, allowing myself to push aside the things I REALLY want to be doing – for myself – in order to meet the needs of just about everyone else on the planet.

If I were a bit more selfish – or perhaps valued more highly things like my blog, my writing, all those characters and stories that fill up my head and burst forth from every pore and orifice – then maybe, just maybe, I would not feel as though life were slipping by like ever-accelerating grains of sand in the proverbial hourglass.

As God is my witness, I will make a conscious effort to write more diligently in my blog.

I will not get hung up on creating new episodes of the Delphi story – although I already have multiple episodes planned out in scribble in one of my little pocket notebooks – and go ahead and post whatever I happen to be thinking about on any particular day.

So, caveat emptor: my blog will end up being a mixture of stream of consciousness musings juxtaposed with melodramatic sagas posted in installment plan fashion.

Then again, it could end up being something entirely different….

And so it goes.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

i don't care what you post - just keep posting.although i am enjoying the delphi things.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home