Friday, February 09, 2007

Kaitlin

I work part-time at “Petals,” an upscale florist and garland shop here in Delphi.

It’s owned by Tony and Peter, who happen to be partners. In more ways than just… business. If you get my meaning.

Aside from the fact that they have a predilection for playing show tunes in the background, it is pretty fun and laid back to work there. Both Tony and Peter are whizzes when it comes to making floral arrangements. I mean, if you tend towards the elaborate. Well, Tony tends to be more elaborate, while Peter tends to be more minimalist and post-modern. They work well together, except for when they are mad at each other. Which really isn’t all that often. Really. And mostly they disagree about colors or the amount of frou-frou that might go into any arrangement.

Admittedly, this was the only job I could find when I first moved back to Delphi. Their former assistant got married and moved to Chicago. But it is a fact that my degree is in horticultural therapy. I never used it in real life, as I got married right out of school and Jason didn’t want me to work. He wanted me to stay home and stay focused. On our children. Not that we had any yet.

And our garden. He said I could have a garden. And do my horticultural therapy magic there. He said no wife of his would work outside the home.

Funny.

This from the same man who some ten years later was telling me to “get off my fucking ass and get a job”!

He said there was no reason why I couldn’t take care of Rad full time and work full time. And if I wasn’t doing it, then – by God! – I was a “slacker.”

I swear, he actually said this to me.

“There are plenty of women in America who did this each and every day,” he said, and he would be damned if he was going to be paying me any alimony just because I was a lazy, spoiled bitch.

Child support would be minimal, he said, because I should get off my ass and work.

To support my own son.

What did I think he was… the gravy train?

Actually, I pretty much thought he was an asshole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home