Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day 4 of Yoga Camp

Yes, I do realize that I missed writing about Day 3 of Yoga Camp.

Never fear! I did attend. I just didn’t have the time yesterday to write about it. That and the fact that I have two teenagers who hog the computer.

Oh, and that the AFI’s 100 Years…100 Movies -- 10th Anniversary Edition was on TV. I started watching it, innocently enough, at 8:00. I was thinking it would only last for about an hour or so. And I think it could have lasted for about an hour or so – IF there hadn’t been fifty million commercials every three seconds. I couldn’t believe how many commercial breaks there were! The show lasted until 11:00.

Still. I did watch the entire show. Taking advantage of the commercial breaks to do laundry, make phone calls, pay bills, fold laundry, try to convince teenagers to get off the computer, etc.

I LOVE movies, especially old movies. I think the American Film Institute does wonderful things as far as preserving and promoting films go. But it alarms me when groups post Top 100 lists of anything and then insist on rank ordering them. Yeah, sure, you can say: “These are the top 100 movies.” And then stop there. Although even that is going to be arbitrary and debatable to a degree. But proceeding to rank order 100 movies is extremely arbitrary and based on point of view and taste. When you start saying this movie is better than this movie is better than this movie, you start to lose meaning. Especially when you start comparing genres and time periods. I mean, can you really compare a musical with a serious drama head on? Or a comedy with a thriller? And why should you? Is a movie “better” because it is more popular? More technically impressive? More moving? More “artistic”? Or groundbreaking in some way?

In the end, I think lists like this reflect more about the people who make the selections (and their agendas and biases) than it does about the movies themselves. According to the AFI website, the list came from “a blue-ribbon panel of leaders from across the film community.” Whatever that means!

Although I stayed up far too late watching this schlock, it did make we want to re-watch some of the wonderful, wonderful movies on the list that I did love. And, actually, to re-watch some of the movies that weren’t on the list.

Yoga camp is going well. There is only one day left. I am surprised that it has gone so well. I don’t feel as sore as I imagined I would. And I am starting to develop that sense of bonding and camaraderie with some of the other “campers” that you gain while in any kind of intensive, repetitive training or socialization activities.

I may not be memorizing routines to use on my own at the crack of dawn, but I am definitely learning:

How to do certain positions more correctly.

How to breathe better (or at all).

The fact that I have the attention span of a two year old.

And that I really dislike downward facing dog.

If I never had to do downward facing dog again as long as I lived, I would not be sad. I just find it unnatural and uncomfortable. It bothers my lower back. I’ll take child’s pose over downward dog any day of the week!

I am also surprised that it has not really been a problem to get up so early. It makes me think maybe I should start getting up earlier in general – that this might provide me with more “personal” time to read or write or go for a walk and think.

Of course, when I get up this early, I want to go to bed earlier. Which, as I saw last night, does not always happen. And then I start getting progressively more tired.

Is it better to stay up later? Or get up earlier? I am not sure. I am neither clearly a morning person nor a late night person. In fact, I would say that I am neither.

I think I am going to miss the routine of yoga camp once it ends. It has been kind of fun getting up early and going to this class every morning. It has lent ritual and community and exercise and quiet time to my day. These are all things I need and crave and don’t always get.

Yoga camp has reinforced the importance that yoga can play as one aspect of an approach to healthy living. One that is the polar opposite of boot camp-type training and fierce competition, both of which I loathe but had to put up with for a good deal of my young adult years.

Namaste!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home